[ovirt-users] Desktop virtualization and thin clients

René Koch rkoch at rk-it.at
Mon Apr 10 14:40:47 UTC 2017

Hi Giulio,

On Tue, 2017-04-04 at 12:59 +0200, Giulio Casella wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm evaluating some thin client to connect to ovirt VMs, used as
> desktop
> workstations.
> I really don't care about native client support, I distribute via PXE
>> custom linux OS launching remote viewer.
> I'd like to have good multimedia performance, at a reasonable price.

For best multimedia performance a resonable graphics card and cpu in
your thin client is needed and up-to-date remote viewer version.

> Googling a little, I focused on a couple of vendor: https://www.igel.
> com
> and https://www.10zig.com/.
>
> Anyone has already tested those vendor products? which model? which
> is
> the (approx.) price?
> Obviously any hint on other vendors are welcome.

I used thin clients from IGEL in many setups. If you want good
multimedia performance (watching full HD videos in your vm) you need
the UD5. IGEL is a good solution when it comes to managing thin clients
as they have a great management server for it. The downside is that
IGEL thin clients aren't really cheap and remote viewer comes in a
quite old version.

One of my customers uses Intel NUC devices with Fedora on it (PXE boot)
and has a much better performance as with IGEL UD5, but to be fair he
compared it with the 5 year old UD5 model. This is mainly because of
the newer processors in Intel NUC and new virt-viewer of Fedora.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
René