[ovirt-users] Compiling oVirt for Debian.

Sandro Bonazzola sbonazzo at redhat.com
Wed Apr 12 07:28:00 UTC 2017

Hi Leni, welcome to the oVirt community!

On Wed, Apr 12, 2017 at 5:57 AM, Leni Kadali Mutungi <lenikmutungi at gmail.com
> wrote:

> Hello all.
>
> I am trying to install oVirt on Debian. So far I've managed to install
> a good chunk of the dependencies.

Nice to see interest in getting oVirt on Debian! I'm adding Milan Zamal who
was looking into getting vdsm running on Debian.

> However I haven't been able to
> install otopi, ovirt-host-deploy, ovirt-js-dependencies,
> ovirt-setup-lib since Debian has no packages for these. With the
> exception of otopi (whose build instructions I was unable to make
> sense of on GitHub),
> everything else is to be gotten from Fedora/EPEL repos.

Please note that otopi is not supporting Debian yet.
It's missing support for the packaging system used by Debian. It currently
support only yum and dnf package managers.
Being ovirt-host-deploy and ovirt-setup-lib depending on otopi, you'll need
to work on otopi code first.

> I had thought of using alien to convert from rpm to deb, but
> apparently the recommended thing is to compile from source, since
> using alien can lead to a complex version of dependency hell.
>
> I can download WildFly from source, though again the recommended
> procedure is to install ovirt-engine-wildfly and
> ovirt-wildfly-overlay.

I would suggest to get in touch with Wildfly community about having wildfly
packaged for Debian.

> Any assistance in tracking down the source code of the above packages
> so that I can install them is appreciated.
>
> --
> - Warm regards
> Leni Kadali Mutungi

SANDRO BONAZZOLA

ASSOCIATE MANAGER, SOFTWARE ENGINEERING, EMEA ENG VIRTUALIZATION R&D

Red Hat EMEA <https://www.redhat.com/>
<https://red.ht/sig>
TRIED. TESTED. TRUSTED. <https://redhat.com/trusted>