[ovirt-users] Compiling oVirt for Debian.

Yedidyah Bar David didi at redhat.com
Tue Apr 18 06:12:41 UTC 2017

On Sun, Apr 16, 2017 at 6:54 AM, Leni Kadali Mutungi
<lenikmutungi at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I think that all of them are maintained on gerrit.ovirt.org, and most
>>> have
>>> mirrors on github.com/ovirt.
>>>
> Found all the source code on gerrit.ovirt.org; not all of it is
> mirrored to github.com/ovirt
>
>>> If you haven't yet, you might want to check also:
>>>
>>> http://www.ovirt.org/develop/developer-guide/engine/engine-development-environment/
>>> Adding to otopi support for apt/dpkg is indeed interesting and useful,
>>> but
>>> imo isn't mandatory for a first milestone. Not having an apt packager
>>> will
>>> simply mean you can't install/update packages using otopi, but other
>>> things
>>> should work. Notably, you won't be able to use engine-setup for upgrades,
>>> at least not the way it's done with yum and versionlock.
>
> So does this mean I shouldn't bother with installing otopi, because
> according to the development guide for RPM-based systems, it seems
> only the ovirt-host-deploy, ovirt-setup-lib, and ovirt-js-dependencies
> are the packages required.

ovirt-host-deploy requires otopi, and also engine-setup (from the engine
git repo) does. So unless you want to start manually imitating what these
do (which might not be a terrible idea, if you want to understand more
deeply how things work, but will take more time), you do need otopi.

Also please note that the above developer guide is probably not complete
or up-to-date - please check also README.adoc from the engine sources.

> The guide for Debian is blank and marked as
> TODO.

Indeed, patches are welcome :-)

I expect at least some packages to be missing there, didn't check
personally.

> Another query I had was that should I make the config files
> myself as referenced by the README or can I expect that it will be
> done during make install?

which ones? postgresql's? It's automatically done when you install
from RPMs, but not in dev-env mode. So you'll have to do that
manually for now.

Best,
--
Didi