[ovirt-users] Upgrade 4.0.6 to 4.1.1 -- How to Update oVirt Node (4.x) Hosts?

Beckman, Daniel Daniel.Beckman at ingramcontent.com
Mon Apr 24 22:19:44 UTC 2017

So I successfully upgraded my engine from 4.06 to 4.1.1 with no major issues.

A nice thing I noticed was that my custom CA certificate for https on the admin and user portals wasn’t clobbered by setup.

I did have to restore my custom settings for ISO uploader, log collector, and websocket proxy:
cp /etc/ovirt-engine/isouploader.conf.d/10-engine-setup.conf.<latest_timestamp> /etc/ovirt-engine/isouploader.conf.d/10-engine-setup.conf
cp /etc/ovirt-engine/ovirt-websocket-proxy.conf.d/10-setup.conf.<latest_timestamp> /etc/ovirt-engine/ovirt-websocket-proxy.conf.d/10-setup.conf
cp /etc/ovirt-engine/logcollector.conf.d/10-engine-setup.conf.<latest_timestamp> /etc/ovirt-engine/logcollector.conf.d/10-engine-setup.conf

Now I’m moving on to updating the oVirt node hosts, which are currently at oVirt Node 4.0.6.1. (I’m assuming I should do that before attempting to upgrade the cluster and data center compatibility level to 4.1.)

When I right-click on a host and go to Installation / Check for Upgrade, the results are ‘no updates found.’ When I log into that host directly, I notice it’s still got the oVirt 4.0 repo, not 4.1. Is there an extra step I’m missing? The documentation I’ve found (http://www.ovirt.org/documentation/upgrade-guide/chap-Updates_between_Minor_Releases/) doesn’t mention this.

**
If I can offer some unsolicited feedback: I feel like this list is populated with a lot of questions that could be averted with a little care and feeding of the documentation. It’s unfortunate because that makes for a rocky introduction to oVirt, and it makes it look like a neglected project, which I know is not the case.

On a related note, I know this has been discussed before but…
The centralized control in Github for the documentation does not really encourage user contributions. What’s wrong with a wiki? If we’re really concerned about bad or malicious edits being posted, keep the official in git and add a separate wiki that is clearly marked as user-contributed.
**

Thanks,
Daniel