[ovirt-users] Windows Server 2016 client licensing costs

Andrew Wippler Andrew.Wippler at lancasterbaptist.org
Tue Apr 25 16:24:49 UTC 2017

We have been running oVirt for over two years now and we are quite satisfied
with it. Most of our infrastructure is CentOS VMs with about 7 Windows VMs which
are all running on 4 oVirt nodes.

With Microsoft changing their licensing terms for 2016, it sounds like I have to
pay a license fee for the physical hypervisor cores if I intend to run Windows
Server 2016 virtual machines on them - even if Windows is not the Host OS. Does
this sound about right?

Has anyone had to buy 2016 licenses yet? Did you also have to buy licenses to
cover the host? What are other hypervisor companies (i.e. VMWare, Citrix, etc.)
instructing their customers to do?