[ovirt-users] Building ovirt-host-deploy gives `configure: error: otopi-devtools required but missing`

Yedidyah Bar David didi at redhat.com
Wed Apr 26 06:33:14 UTC 2017

On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 9:26 AM, Yedidyah Bar David <didi at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 10:27 PM, Leni Kadali Mutungi
> <lenikmutungi at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 4/25/17, Jason Brooks <jbrooks at redhat.com> wrote:
>>> On debian testing, I managed to build and install using ./configure
>>> --with-otopi-sources=/root/otopi (this is where I'd checked out and
>>> built otopi)
>>>

>> Hmmm... This sounds definitely worth trying.
>>
>>> I got this error running ovirt-host-deploy:
>>>
>>> # ovirt-host-deploy
>>> ***L:ERROR Internal error: Internal error, plugins set(['otopi',
>>> 'ovirt-host-common', 'ovirt-host-deploy']) are missing
>>>
>>> It ran a bit further when run from the source dir:
>>>

>>> # ./src/bin/ovirt-host-deploy
>>> [ INFO  ] Stage: Initializing
>>>           Continuing will configure this host for serving as
>>> hypervisor. Are you sure you want to continue? (yes/no) yes
>>> [ INFO  ] Stage: Environment setup
>>>           Configuration files: []
>>>           Log file: /tmp/ovirt-host-deploy-20170425170102-6mdsx6.log
>>>           Version: otopi-1.7.0_master ()
>>>           Version: ovirt-host-deploy-1.7.0_master ()
>>> [ INFO  ] Stage: Environment packages setup
>>> [ ERROR ] Failed to execute stage 'Environment packages setup':
>>> Packager install not implemented
>>> [ INFO  ] Stage: Pre-termination
>>> [ INFO  ] Stage: Termination
>>>

>> Let me test it out on my own machine and see.
>
> Are you (both Leni and Jason) trying to make otopi/ovirt-host-deploy
> build/install/run from a "dev-env" (non-root), or are you trying to
> package them for debian?
>
> otopi checks for plugins in its env under key BASE/pluginPath.
> If running from either source (as above) or a bundle (see README.API,
> this is actually needed for ovirt-host-deploy to work in its expected
> normal flow), it has special code for setting it. Otherwise it defaults
> to $(pkgdatadir)/plugins , where pkgdatadir is set by autoconf (and
> defaults to $PREFIX/share/otopi.
>
> So if you want 'dev-env', pick a prefix (say, ~/ovirt-stuff), build
> everything with the same prefix, and add $prefix/bin to your path.

Sorry. I now see that ovirt-host-deploy defaults to searching for
otopi-bundle in a hard-coded path /usr/share/otopi. So if you want
dev-env, passing same prefix will not be enough - you'll have to
pass also --otopi-bundle=/path/to/otopi-bundle to ./configure .

I admit I never heard about anyone using otopi in dev-env. IMO all
the oVirt developers install otopi from rpm on their dev machines
(me included). It should be quite easy to change the default to be
$PREFIX/share/otopi if you want - I think it should not cause any
new bugs. Patches are welcome :-)

> If you want to package for debian, you should mostly use debian
> defaults for most things imo.

(This should still apply, as I think you'll package it on debian
to use the same path as in rpm - /usr/share/otopi).

Best,

--
Didi