[ovirt-users] Manually moving disks from FC to iSCSI

Gianluca Cecchi gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
Tue Jul 11 13:40:26 UTC 2017

On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 3:33 PM, Elad Ben Aharon <ebenahar at redhat.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I suggest another solution for you (which wasn't tested as a whole but
> much simpler in my opinion).
>
>  On the source environment:
> - Create a local DC with a single local storage domain (let's call it
> sd1).
> - Deactivate and detach the FC domain from the existing shared DC and
> attach it to the local DC (From oVirt 4.1, attaching a shared storage
> domain to a local data center is possible).
> - Register FC domain VMs (from 'VM import' sub-tab under the FC domain).
> - Move the disks from the FC domain to the local domain.
> - Deactivate, detach and remove *without format* the local domain from
> the source environment.
> - Maintenance the host in the local data center (let's call it host1).
>
>  On the destination environment:
> - Add host1 to the destination environment and create a local data center
> with this host and a new local domain.
> - Import the existing local domain (sd1) to the local data center and
> register its VMs.
> - Deactivate and detach the iSCSI domain from the existing data center and
> attach it to the local data center.
> - Move all the disks from the local domain to the iSCSI domain.
> - Deactivate and detach the iSCSI domain from the local data center,
> attach and activate it in the shared data center and register its VMs.
>

> Thanks,
>
> ELAD BEN AHARON
>
> SENIOR QUALITY ENGINEER
>
> Red Hat Israel Ltd. <https://www.redhat.com/>
>
> 34 Jerusalem Road, Building A, 1st floor
>
> Ra'anana, Israel 4350109
>
> ebenahar at redhat.com    T: +972-9-7692007/8272007
>  <https://red.ht/sig> TRIED. TESTED. TRUSTED. <https://redhat.com/trusted>

Unfortunately the source environment is placed in a different site and I
cannot connect a "fast" local domain to it: no internal disks and old blade
system so that no fast USB channel
ALso, in the destination iSCSI I have many VMs running and I cannot it put
it down.
I have to transfer 2 VMs for a total of about 500Gb of storage