[ovirt-users] Why was HE Install made OVA only?

Simone Tiraboschi stirabos at redhat.com
Tue Nov 21 09:52:17 UTC 2017

On Tue, Nov 21, 2017 at 10:26 AM, Alan Griffiths <apgriffiths79 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I was building my own image, using Foreman, Puppet and PXE. There's a
> specific partitioning schema I'm required to use in my environment and
> building my own image from Kickstart is by far the easiest way to
> achieve this.

Also our default appliance is built from a kickstart file.
You can simply customize it as you need and rebuild your custom appliance
to be used with hosted-engine-setup.

Look here to see how the ovirt engine appliance is built:
https://github.com/oVirt/ovirt-appliance/tree/master/engine-appliance

> I can appreciate that in most scenarios the OVA install is the
> best/easiest option, but it would have been nice to keep PXE and ISO
> options.

The point is that now hosted-engine-setup is strongly using cloud-init to
automatically configure the appliance and execute engine-setup there.
It's simply using the no-cloud datasource which is just a cloud-init
specific iso file attached on the fly as a CDROM; doing it over a pxe boot
will instead require a zero conf network to supply cloud init data and it's
by far more complex.