[ovirt-users] Update gluster HCI from 4.1.3 to 4.1.7

Gianluca Cecchi gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
Tue Nov 28 18:28:46 UTC 2017

On Tue, Nov 28, 2017 at 6:36 PM, Kasturi Narra <knarra at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hello,
> I have an environment with 3 hosts and gluster HCI on 4.1.3.
> I'm following this link to take it to 4.1.7
> https://www.ovirt.org/documentation/how-to/hosted-engine/#up
> grade-hosted-engine

[snip]

> 7. Exit the global maintenance mode: in a few minutes the engine VM should
> migrate to the fresh upgraded host cause it will get an higher score
>
> One note: actually exiting from global maintenance doesn't imply that the
> host previously put into maintenance exiting from it, correct?
>
> [kasturi] - you are right. Global maintenance main use is to allow
> administrator start / stop / modify the engine vm with out any worry of
> interference from the HA agents .

So probably one item between 6. and 7. has to be added

. exit hosted-engine host from maintenance (Select Host -> Management ->
activate)

> Then after exiting from global maintenance I don't see the engine vm
> migrating to it.
> [kasturi] - which is expected.

Reading documents I thought it should have migrated to the "higher" version
host...
Perhaps this applies only when there is a cluster version upgrade in the
datacenter, such as 3.6 -> 4.0 or 4.0 -> 4.1 and it is not true in general?

> Can I manually migrate engine vm to ovirt03?
>
> [kasturi]
>
> yes, definitely. You should be able to migrate.
> hosted-engine --vm-status looks fine

Yes, it worked as expected

> On ovirt03:
>
> [root at ovirt03 ~]# gluster volume info engine
>
> Volume Name: engine
> Type: Replicate
> Volume ID: 6e2bd1d7-9c8e-4c54-9d85-f36e1b871771
> Snapshot Count: 0
> Number of Bricks: 1 x (2 + 1) = 3
> Transport-type: tcp
> Bricks:
> Brick1: ovirt01.localdomain.local:/gluster/brick1/engine
> Brick2: ovirt02.localdomain.local:/gluster/brick1/engine
> Brick3: ovirt03.localdomain.local:/gluster/brick1/engine (arbiter)
> Options Reconfigured:
> performance.strict-o-direct: on
> nfs.disable: on
> user.cifs: off
> network.ping-timeout: 30
> cluster.shd-max-threads: 6
> cluster.shd-wait-qlength: 10000
> cluster.locking-scheme: granular
> cluster.data-self-heal-algorithm: full
> performance.low-prio-threads: 32
> features.shard-block-size: 512MB
> features.shard: on
> storage.owner-gid: 36
> storage.owner-uid: 36
> cluster.server-quorum-type: server
> cluster.quorum-type: auto
> network.remote-dio: off
> cluster.eager-lock: enable
> performance.stat-prefetch: off
> performance.io-cache: off
> performance.read-ahead: off
> performance.quick-read: off
> performance.readdir-ahead: on
> transport.address-family: inet
> [root at ovirt03 ~]#

[snip]

> [kasturi] - By the way, any reason why the engine volume is configured to
> be an arbiter volume? We always recommend engine volume to be a replicated
> volume to maintain High Availability of the Hosted Engine vm.

Can I mix in general volumes with arbiter and volumes fully replicated in
the same infrastructure, correct?

Actually this particular system is based on a single NUC6i5SYH with 32Gb of
ram and 2xSSD disks, where I have ESXi 6.0U2 installed.
The 3 oVirt HCI hosts are 3 vSphere VMs, so the engine VM is an L2 guest.
Moreover in oVirt I have another CentOS 6 VM (L2 guest) configured and
there is also another CentOS 7 vSphere VM running side by side.
Without arbiter it would have been too cruel... ;-)
It was 4 months I didn't come at it and I found it rock solid active, so I
decided to verify update from 4.1.3 to 4.1.7 and all went ok now.

Remaining points I'm going to investigate more are:

- edit of running options for the Engine VM.
Right now I'm force to manually run engine in my particular nested
environment with
hosted-engine --vm-start --vm-conf=/root/alternate_engine_vm.conf
where I have
emulatedMachine=pc-i440fx-rhel7.2.0
because with 7.3 and 7.4 it doesn' start as described through this thread:
http://lists.ovirt.org/pipermail/users/2017-July/083149.html

Still it seems I cannot set it from the web admin gui in 4.1.7 and the same
happens for other engine vm parameters. I don't know if in 4.2 there will
be any improvement in managing this.

- migrate from fuse to libgfapi

- migrate the gluster network volumes from ovirtmgmt to another defined
logical network
I tried (after updating to gluster 3.10) with some problems in 4.1.3 for an
export domain. It seems more critical for data and engine storage domains.
See also this thread here with my attempts at that time:
http://lists.ovirt.org/pipermail/users/2017-July/083077.html

Thanks for your time,
Gianluca