[ovirt-users] Maximum storage per VM?

Dmitri Chebotarov dchebota at gmu.edu
Tue Oct 10 12:31:11 UTC 2017

Good Morning

I'm using virtio-scsi (also tried virtio), not using IDE (doesn't IDE have 4 devices limit? it's long time since I used IDE...).

This is for servers hosting own/nextCloud and Samba for a small/medium groups with large datasets (60-80TB) per server.

If ovirt-scsi allows to attach >20 disks  then it meets my needs in this case. Thank you.

The reason I opted for LVM is performance. It's so much faster with LVM and striped volumes compared to a single large disk. I'm seeing very high 'iowait' numbers (to the point when VM is unresponsive) when I'm dumping large amount of data to a single disk. But with LVM striped volumes 'iowait' at around ~20% and I can get to ~750MB/s in the same environment (same config with single disk is ~160MB/s).

Also, healing a single large disk on gluster takes ages (I'm using erasure coded volumes) .

Thank you,
--
Dmitri Chebotarov.
George Mason University,