[ovirt-users] 4.1 to 4.2 upgrade

Yedidyah Bar David didi at redhat.com
Sun Oct 15 13:43:13 UTC 2017

On Sun, Oct 15, 2017 at 7:50 AM, Charles Kozler <ckozleriii at gmail.com> wrote:
> hello,
>
> What would be the process to go from current 4.1 to 4.2-pre?

A normal upgrade should work.

Please note that this isn't meant for production.

In particular, if we find bugs that only affects upgrades from
the current 4.2-pre to 4.2 final, but not upgrades from any previous
official release to 4.2 final, we might decide to not fix them. In
fact, we are quite likely to not know about them - developers quite
quickly re-create their databases etc. if they run into problems,
if they can't reproduce these problems on latest released version.
That said, I can vaguely recall only few actual such past cases.

> I have been demoing 4.2 on my own lab environment and the WebUI, for my user
> base, is entirely more intuitive than the previous

Thanks :-)

> My 4.1 is relatively new so there isnt much config done to it, that said,
> wondering what it would take to update ovirt HE w/ 3 nodes + GlusterFS (not
> managed via ovirt) to 4.2-pre and what it would like like to move back from
> a -pre channel to mainline

There is no way to downgrade.

You might be able to install a 4.1 engine and import your storage domains,
if your hosts are still kept in 4.1 compatibility. But I am not even sure
this is guaranteed.

> Alternatively, I could wait for 4.2 to go main, do you have an estimated
> date for that?

I do not think anyone has a clear date yet [1], but I'd say several more months.

[1] https://ovirt.org/develop/release-management/releases/4.2/release-management/

Regards,
--
Didi