[ovirt-users] [ovirt-devel] Cockpit oVirt support

Michal Skrivanek michal.skrivanek at redhat.com
Thu Oct 19 07:52:47 UTC 2017

> On 18 Oct 2017, at 13:32, Barak Korren <bkorren at redhat.com> wrote:
>

> On 18 October 2017 at 10:24, Michal Skrivanek <michal.skrivanek at redhat.com <mailto:michal.skrivanek at redhat.com>> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I’m happy to announce that we finally finished initial contribution of oVirt specific support into the Cockpit management platform
> See below for more details
>
> There are only limited amount of operations you can do at the moment, but it may already be interesting for troubleshooting and simple admin actions where you don’t want to launch the full blown webadmin UI
>
> Worth noting that if you were ever intimidated by the complexity of the GWT UI of oVirt portals and it held you back from contributing, please take another look!
>
> Thanks,
> michal
>

> Very nice work!

thanks!
also note the cockpit automation testing framework which now covers operations on top of stable oVirt environment.

> Where is this going? Are all WebAdmin features planned to be supported at some point? Its kinda nice to be able to access and manage the systems from any one of the hosts instead of having to know where the engine is…

note for anything meaningful it does need engine API connection, that’s not going to change really due to the oVirt architecture.
But who knows how it goes.…:) There are pieces of functionality and configuration which can be done against oVirt VMs at the libvirt level, like Marek mentioned “shutdown” action, but mostly it’s introspection. With the parallel “VM XML” effort which gets in 4.2 we do have a complete VM definition in form of libvirt XML….so the cockpit code should be able to figure out a lot of properties from what it can see, and connect it with engine's information (e.g. it sees network interfaces from libvirt XML and it can correlate it to engine’s logical networks)
But for large part of webadmin functionality it’s not really feasible, engine does a lot of things, and making changes without the visibility to the whole setup is not a good idea…

Thanks,
michal