[ovirt-users] Remote DB: How do you set server_version?

Yaniv Kaul ykaul at redhat.com
Thu May 3 07:42:54 UTC 2018

On Wed, May 2, 2018 at 11:26 PM, Jamie Lawrence <jlawrence at squaretrade.com>
wrote:

> I've been down this road. Postgres won't lie about its version for you.
> If you want to do this, you have to patch the Ovirt installer[1]. I stopped
> trying to use my PG cluster at some point -  the relationship between the
> installer and the product combined with the overly restrictive requirements
> baked into the installer[2]) makes doing so  an ongoing hassle. So I treat
> Ovirt's PG as an black box; disappointing, considering that we are a very
> heavy PG shop with a lot of expertise and automation I can't use with Ovirt.

Patches are welcome to improve the way oVirt uses Postgresql, supports
various versions, etc.
Can you give examples for some of the things you'd do differently?

If nothing has changed (my notes are from a few versions ago), everything
> you need to correct is in
>
> /usr/share/ovirt-engine/setup/ovirt_engine_setup/engine_
> common/constants.py
>
> Aside from the version, you'll also have to make the knobs for vacuuming
> match those of your current installation, and I think there was another
> configurable for something else I'm not remembering right now.
>
> Be aware that doing so is accepting an ongoing commitment to monkeying
> with the installer a lot. At one time I thought doing so was the right
> tradeoff, but it turns out I  was wrong.

At least we can start with documenting their location and default values -
if that's not the case already, and when/why change them.
An ovirt.org blog entry would be welcome too.
Y.