[ovirt-users] Remote DB: How do you set server_version?

Jamie Lawrence jlawrence at squaretrade.com
Thu May 3 18:42:45 UTC 2018

> On May 3, 2018, at 12:42 AM, Yaniv Kaul <ykaul at redhat.com> wrote:

> Patches are welcome to improve the way oVirt uses Postgresql, supports various versions, etc.
> Can you give examples for some of the things you'd do differently?

A little pre-ramble - I was trying not to be offensive in talking about this, and hope I didn't bother anyone. For the record, if I were supreme dictator of the project, I might well make the same choices. Attention is limited, DB-flexibility is nowhere near a top-line feature, DB compatibility issues can be complex and subtle, and QA is  a limited  resource. I don't know that those are the concerns responsible for the current stance, but can totally see good reasons as to why things are they way they are.

Anyway, I've been thinking about is an installer mode that treats the DB as Someone Else's Problem - it doesn't try to install, configure or monitor it, instead leaving all config and responsibility for selecting something that works to the administrator. The assumption is that crazy people like me will figure out if things won't work against a given version, and over time the list will be capable of assuming some of that QA responsibility. That leaves the normal path for the bulk of users, and those who want to assume the risk can point at their own clusters where the closest running version is almost always going to be a point-release or three away from whatever Ovirt tests against and configuration is quite different.

What I have not done is written any code. I'd like to, but I'm probably several months away from having time.

-j