oVirt Updates - September 16th

Itamar Heim iheim at redhat.com
Mon Sep 16 23:21:40 UTC 2013

Summer vacations and holidays, but many updates...

Conferences/Talks
- Greg Padget will cover the new sla mechanism in ovirt at
   LinuxCon/CloudOpen NA (September 17th, New Orleans)

- a lot of sessions around linuxcon europe/kvm forum.
   also, the annual developer summit.
   Dave Neary created this helpful page:
   http://www.ovirt.org/KVM_Forum_2013

3.3

- Release is going out any minute now...
   looks like an exciting one, packed with features!

- deep dives to new 3.3 features
   if you missed them - deep dives into some of the new features are
   available at the end of this page:
   http://www.ovirt.org/OVirt_3.3_release_notes

- note on native glusterfs storage domain and .el6
   centos/rhel 6.4 don't have qemu/libvirt packages supporting this.
   these are expected with 6.5.
   we are trying to find a solution prior to 6.5 to resolve this.

- Zhou Zheng Sheng graciously created guest agent packages for ubuntu
   and debian[1]

- heads up that we're planning a bit larger 3.3.1 which will rebase and
   pass some more testing. then more frequent 3.3.x updates for issues
   found.

- jason brooks blogged on "Testing oVirt 3.3 with Nested KVM" and "Up
   and Running with oVirt 3.3"
   http://community.redhat.com/testing-ovirt-3-3-with-nested-kvm
   http://community.redhat.com/up-and-running-with-ovirt-3-3/

3.4
- I started a thread for "what do you want next" - will collect and
   publish separately. feel free to chime in[2]

Case Studies
- Dave Neary worked with Alter Way to publish one.
   http://www.ovirt.org/Alter_Way_case_study
- We'd love to see more of these - please ping dneary at redhat.com

Kimchi
- Adam Litke followed on the vote to accept Kimchi as in incubated
   project. Kimchi is a lightweight single machine virt manager.
   simplified, html 5, etc.
- Mike burns updated they are already trying to build a stand alone
   ovirt-node with it.
- Adam will present Kimchi at the KVM Forum (see conferences below)`

Other
- René Koch asked for early testing on a new version of the Nagios
   plugin[3]
- Karli Sjöberg published screenshots of their "order portal"[4]
- (YouTube) how to use a glance image with ovirt by Hervé Leclerc
   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yeopUKjjnY

Thanks,
    Itamar

[1] http://lists.ovirt.org/pipermail/users/2013-September/016308.html