oVirt Release Notes

Steve Gordon sgordon at redhat.com
Thu Dec 22 21:15:15 UTC 2011

Hi all,

One of the topics we discussed in the meeting this week was how we should go about generating the release notes for the first release of oVirt. To this end a flag has been added to bugzilla, ovirt_requires_release_note, to allow us to flag bugs which are noteworthy and should be included in whatever release notes documents we end up building.

The actual text of the release note will be drawn from the Technical Notes fields of the flagged bugs. For now all I ask is that if you are working on a bug and moving it to MODIFIED that if you think it *might* be noteworthy and worth inclusion in the release notes please consider:

- Writing a brief message in the bug's Technical Note field describing what the change being provided fixes/changed. Try to highlight the cause of the issue, the
consequence it had in the past, the fix being implemented, and the result from a user perspective. That said generally we are only looking for a short paragraph per bug.

- Flag the bug as ovirt_requires_release_note?

We can review the list closer to the actual branching and release activity in the new year, getting some initial bugs noted and flagged will also give me some source data to demonstrate how we can automate the actual generation of a release notes document so we can discuss further.

Thanks,

Steve