Jar versions in ovirt-engine

Ofer Schreiber oschreib at redhat.com
Wed Apr 18 07:51:55 UTC 2012

Ever wondered why the version of oVirt's first release is 3.0.0_0001?
The answer is simple - We use ovirt-engine jar's version as our "main" release version.

Personally, I think the current versioning scheme is ugly. Actually, I can't name even one open-source project using "_" in it's version.

What can we do about it? We have couple of options:
1. Leave the engine alone, and use a separate versioning scheme (e.g - use just 3.1.0 as the main version for next release)
2. Remove "_" from engine jars
3. Do nothing.

I'd like to hear your thoughts, as well as the reasons to use such an unusual versioning scheme.

---
Ofer Schreiber
oVirt Release Manager