[vdsm] Storage Device Management in VDSM and oVirt

Tony Asleson tasleson at redhat.com
Mon Apr 23 15:45:27 UTC 2012

On 04/22/2012 01:58 AM, Ayal Baron wrote:
> On 04/20/2012 02:23 PM, Deepak C Shetty wrote:
>> under VDSM. I was wondering if the setupStorage would be something
>> where lsm would be used to do the work, it seems fit for purpose
>> here.
>>

> I don't think this is the libstoragemgmt mandate.
>
> libstoragemgmt is: "A library that will provide a vendor agnostic
> open source storage application programming interface (API) for
> storage arrays."
>
> i.e. it is there to abstract storage array specifics from the user.
> It will be used by things like LVM etc, not the other way around.

Yes, this is the current plan for libStorageMgmt.  To provide the
missing management path to third party storage arrays in a consistent
manner.

I'm starting to think that the project name is causing some confusion.
Some of the ambiguity was intentional as eventually the library will
hopefully allow users to manage other pieces of the storage puzzle like
FC switches, but perhaps it is too general.

I believe users would like tools/libraries to manage and simplify the
whole area of storage and
http://sourceforge.net/p/storagemanager/home/Home/ is working towards that.

-Tony