[vdsm] Storage Device Management in VDSM and oVirt

Deepak C Shetty deepakcs at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Wed Apr 25 11:22:34 UTC 2012

On 04/24/2012 07:37 PM, Ayal Baron wrote:

> [...]

Sorry, but not clear to me. If vdsm is configured for file based storage
domain, it would expect the LUN to have a fs, and vdsm would create the
fs storage domain over it. If vdsm is configured for block based storage
domain, it would end up using the LUN as a pv, over which the VG/LV
would sit (hence the need for lvm) and form the block storage domain,
unless you are talking of vdsm using raw LUNs which is not supported today ?

> [...]
>
>> Provisioning LUNs will probably exploit the lsm capabilities and
>> provide
>> the options to the user to create the LUNs using the available array
>> features.
>>
>> With GlusterFS also providing some of the array capabilities (stripe,
>> replicate etc), user might want to provision GlusterFS volume (with
>> whatever capabilities gluster offers) to host storage upon,
>> especially
>> if the storage is coming from not-so-reliable commodity hw storage.
>>
>> I feel this also has to be considered as part of provisioning and
>> should
>> come before the setupStorage step.
>>
>> IMHO, there should be a "Storage Provisioning" tab in oVirt which
>> will
>> allow user to ...
>>
>>       1a) Carve LUNs from external Storage array.
>>
>>       1b) Provision storage as GlusterFS volume. User can select the
>>       LUNs
>> carved (from #1a) as bricks for GlusterFS volume, if need be.
>>
>>       1c) Use local host free disk space.
>>
>> Somewhere here there should be option ( as applicable) for user to
>> select whether to exploit storage array features or host virt
>> capabilities for say snapshot, in cases where both are applicable.
>>
>> 2) Setup Storage
>>
>> Here the user would create VDSM file or block based storage domain,
>> based on the storage provisioned from the "Storage Provisioning" tab.
>> I believe this is where  VDSM will add its metadata to the
>> provisioned
>> storage to make it a storage domain.
>>
>> IMHO for image operations like snapshot/clone, VDSM will have to
>> track&
>> maintain whether the image is served by local host, external storage
>> array or gluster volume and accordingly use the lvm, lsm or gluster
>> apis
>> to get the job done.
> For sure.  That would be part of the domain metadata.
>
>> 3) Not sure if anymore steps needed ?
> In general I agree with the above.  wrt the scope of setupStorage, it's semantics.  Personally I think we should differentiate between provisioning storage on the target side and provisioning on the initiator side.
>
> The flow (from GUI) as I see it is (with lsm and an array that supports dynamic provisioning):
> 1. provide credentials and login into storage (out of band, using lsm)
> 2. enumerate capabilities
> 3. based on 2, define required storage domain characteristics (size, thin provisioning, etc)
>    - but note that this is generic, so should apply to gluster as well
> 4. create a storage domain - would implicitly create 1 or more LUNs and anything else that is needed according to above specifications.  API wise, this is probably 3 calls, 1. provision LUNs, 2. setupStorage and 3. createStorageDomain/createGlusterVolume/...
>
> Characteristics might include things like partitions, encryption?, compression?, raid, file systems, etc.

This seems interesting.

I am interested in pursuing this further and helping contribute to the
vdsm lsm integration. lsm is still in the early stages, but i feel its
the right time to start influencing it so that vdsm integration can be
smooth. My interest mainly lies in how external storage array can be
integrated into oVirt/VDSM and help oVirt exploit the array offload
features as part of the virtualization stack.

I didn't find any oVirt wiki page on this topic, tho' there is a old
mailing list thread on vdsm lsm integration, which when read brings up
more issues to discuss :)
How does storage repo engine and possible vdsm services framework ( i
learnt about these in my brief chat with Saggie some time back) play a
role here ?

Can "Provisioning Storage" itself be like a high level service, with
gluster and lsm  exposing storage services, which vdsm can enumerate and
send to oVirt GUI, is that the idea ?
Is there any wiki page on this topic which lists the todos on this
front, which I can start looking at ?

thanx,
deepak