Policy for applying copyright notices

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Mon Oct 24 16:22:46 UTC 2011

On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 09:51:00AM +0200, Doron Fediuck wrote:

> As for the copyrights mentioning, I think most people will approve
> copyrighting ovirt.org, rather than RedHat or IBM. This should prevent
> unneeded tension.

My memory of Red Hat practice is to let individual contributors
decide, and in many cases we choose to put our own name in the
copyright, possibly because it's fairest and clearest. That is, it
wouldn't normally be a copyright attributed to Red Hat, but to
some.developer at redhat.com.

It sounds as if you are suggesting we assign copyright to oVirt, which
doesn't make sense to me. oVirt isn't a legal entity that can hold a
copyright.

- Karsten
team:   Red Hat Community Architecture & Leadership
uri:             http://communityleadershipteam.org
                        http://TheOpenSourceWay.org