non-coding sub-projects

Anthony Liguori aliguori at us.ibm.com
Tue Jul 10 19:39:24 UTC 2012

On 07/10/2012 02:23 PM, Karsten 'quaid' Wade wrote:

> On 07/09/2012 11:15 PM, Itamar Heim wrote:
>
>>> there is no connection between being a maintainer in a sub
>>> project and joining the board.
>
> I was forgetting that the project leads who were made part of the
> initial Board was not the norm:
>
> "A few domain leaders from projects. Not all projects have board
> representation so that community members can work to fill some of
> these seats related to projects. Not every project has to be on the
> board. They do however need to participate in the coordination mail
> lists."
>
> http://www.ovirt.org/governance/board/
>
> However, there is a meaningful connection. Becoming a maintainer is a
> sign of individual merit, and a collection of such merit is a
> prerequisite to being voted on to the Board.
>
> Similarly, a project is likely to appreciate having one or more
> maintainers who are Board members.

So far, I think the board really hasn't done that much, no?  I think there's
been very few votes and the votes probably weren't all that controversial.

I think erring on the side of having greater participation will increase the
likelihood that the board actually has debates and that interesting topics are
brought forward.

I'm very much in favor of bringing in as many people as possible within reason.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

  As a hard development project,