Submitting Kimchi project as an oVirt incubator project

Anthony Liguori aliguori at us.ibm.com
Mon Jul 29 14:59:30 UTC 2013

Livnat Peer <lpeer at redhat.com> writes:

> On 07/26/2013 06:59 AM, Itamar Heim wrote:
>> we'll VMs and templates be portable from one to the other (via ovf?
>> something else?)
>
> I think it is a nice idea.
> A way I see such an integration happening is by being able to export a
> VM in oVirt into an ova file (OVF and the images) and then being able to
> import this file into Kimchi, and of course the other way around.
>
> An interesting point to note here is that oVirt and Kimchi should be
> aligned on the OVF format they use (OVF is supposedly standard but
> de-facto it is not exactly so).

Exactly :-/

OVF is probably a handy way of communicating the metadata.  An open
question is storage/network configuration.  We have the concept of
storage/network pools that are implemented strictly in terms of libvirt.

It would be really handy to be able to have ovirt automatically create a
storage pool from one defined in Kimchi for the entire datacenter so
that you can do mobility.

If we do it right, the concept could also extend beyond Kimchi for a
number of libvirt-based tools.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori