Submitting Kimchi project as an oVirt incubator project

Anthony Liguori aliguori at us.ibm.com
Mon Jul 29 12:55:05 UTC 2013

Itamar Heim <iheim at redhat.com> writes:

> On 07/24/2013 06:22 PM, Anthony Liguori wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Kimchi is a web-based management tool meant as an entry level tool for
>> interacting with KVM.  It compliments oVirt well allowing the project to
>> provide both a starting point for virtualization that can expand to a
>> large enterprise environment.
>>
>> We believe that Kimchi will benefit by being part of the oVirt umbrella
>> as we can work together to make the interfaces consistent with the oVirt
>> UI and integrate with ovirt-node to provide a complete stand alone
>> virtualization experience for an end-user.
>
> hi Anthony,
>
> I think it will be great to compliment the ovirt solution.
> Is the idea to try and match the user portal/power user portal look and
> feel / style?

That would be ideal although not a short term goal.

What we really want is for there to be a seamless transition between
Kimchi and oVirt-engine.  We envision a user install Kimchi (via a
Fedora based oVirt node ISO), playing around with KVM, creating some
guests, and then deciding they need more.

The user would then initial bringing the node into a datacenter and
ideally, would be able to import those VMs into ovirt-engine in a
seamless fashion.

This is the bigger focus for us vs. just making the look and feel the
same.

> I think its important to try and make it feel its coming from the same
> family.
> we'll VMs and templates be portable from one to the other (via ovf?
> something else?)

Yes, this is an explicit goal.

> show list of VMs from a remote ovirt-engine as well?

The scope right now is narrowly focused on single node.  I personally
think it's important to avoid creeping the scope beyond that.

It really is about getting someone to do useful things with KVM with the
absolute smallest number of steps.

> do i understand correctly its a simplified web based "virt-manager", or
> 'server oriented' boxes, or am i missing something?

Web-based virt-manager is a good starting point.  The biggest difference
though is that while virt-manager is a UI designed around exposing the
features of libvirt, Kimchi's UI design is much more oriented to a
particular type of user and simplifying the workflows that they'd have.

The user we focus on is the "tire-kicker".  They are primarily Windows
users who may already have experience with VMware but no direct
experience with oVirt or KVM.

> (say, what's the envisioned roadmap of development for features?)

https://github.com/kimchi-project/kimchi/wiki/TODO

Regards,

Anthony Liguori