[ovirt-devel] What does your oVirt development environment look like?

Adam Litke alitke at redhat.com
Fri Aug 15 13:32:55 UTC 2014

Ever since starting to work on oVirt around 3 years ago I've been
striving for the perfect development and test environment.  I was
inspired by Yaniv's recent deep dive on Foreman integration and
thought I'd ask people to share their setups and any tips and tricks
so we can all become better, more efficient developers.

My setup consists of my main work laptop and two mini-Dell servers.  I
run the engine on my laptop and I serve NFS and iSCSI (using
targetcli) from this system as well.  I use the ethernet port on the
laptop to connect it to a subnet with the two Dell systems.

Some goals for my setup are:
 - Easy provisioning of the virt-hosts so I can quickly test on Fedora
   and CentOS without spending lots of time reinstalling
 - Ability to test block and nfs storage
 - Automation of test scenarios involving engine and hosts

To help me reach these goals I've deployed cobbler on my laptop and it
does a pretty good job at managing PXE boot configurations for my
hosts (and VMs) so they can be automatically intalled as needed.
After viewing Yaniv's presentation, it seems that Forman/Puppet are
the way of the future but it does seem a bit more involved to set up.
I am definitely curious if others are using Foreman in their personal
dev/test environment and can offer some insight on how that is working
out.

Thanks, and I look forward to reading about more of your setups!  If
we get enough of these, maybe this could make a good section of the
wiki.

--
Adam Litke