[ovirt-devel] What does your oVirt development environment look like?

ybronhei ybronhei at redhat.com
Fri Aug 15 16:36:23 UTC 2014

On 08/15/2014 09:32 AM, Adam Litke wrote:
> Ever since starting to work on oVirt around 3 years ago I've been
> striving for the perfect development and test environment.  I was
> inspired by Yaniv's recent deep dive on Foreman integration and
> thought I'd ask people to share their setups and any tips and tricks
> so we can all become better, more efficient developers.
>
> My setup consists of my main work laptop and two mini-Dell servers.  I
> run the engine on my laptop and I serve NFS and iSCSI (using
> targetcli) from this system as well.  I use the ethernet port on the
> laptop to connect it to a subnet with the two Dell systems.
>
> Some goals for my setup are:
> - Easy provisioning of the virt-hosts so I can quickly test on Fedora
>    and CentOS without spending lots of time reinstalling
> - Ability to test block and nfs storage
> - Automation of test scenarios involving engine and hosts
>
> To help me reach these goals I've deployed cobbler on my laptop and it
> does a pretty good job at managing PXE boot configurations for my
> hosts (and VMs) so they can be automatically intalled as needed.
> After viewing Yaniv's presentation, it seems that Forman/Puppet are
> the way of the future but it does seem a bit more involved to set up.
> I am definitely curious if others are using Foreman in their personal
> dev/test environment and can offer some insight on how that is working
> out.
>
> Thanks, and I look forward to reading about more of your setups!  If
> we get enough of these, maybe this could make a good section of the
> wiki.

Heppy to hear :) for those who missed -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gozX891kYAY

each one has its own needs and goals I guess, but if you say it might
help, I'll never say no for sharing :P
I have 3 dells under my desk, I compile the engine a lot and its heavy
for my laptop. So I clone my local working directory and build it on the
strongest mini-dell using local jenkins server
(http://www.ovirt.org/Local_Jenkins_For_The_People). The other 2 I use
as hypervisor when needed. provision them is done by me manually :/..
cobbler pxe boot could help with already defined image..  Other then
that, I have nfs mount for storage and few vms for compilation and small
tests

sorry I can't help with your curiosity .. my env quite simple

Regards,
Yaniv Bronhaim.