[ovirt-devel] findbugs errors -- any way to prevent mad bot from rampant -1s?

David Caro dcaroest at redhat.com
Tue Dec 9 09:09:27 UTC 2014

On 12/08, Greg Sheremeta wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there any way to prevent this [1] from happening?
>
> Some patch got merged that findbugs complains about. Basically no
> patches can be merged until that is fixed and everybody rebases
> everything (because the bot -1's everything). That doesn't seem right.

What is not right is merging a patch that breaks findbugs.

How do you suggest avoiding that? Ignoring the findbugs result always?
Forcing to pass it always? (that is, not allowing maintainers to
remove the jenkins reviewer).
If we only test you code (check out instead of cherry-pick) then you
will not have that issue, but you'll have to test anyhow the
cherry-pick before merging and we have the same issue + a lot of tests
on old code that when rebasing become opsolete.

You could try to cross compare jobs running on merged code with the
jobs runing on non-merged code and disable voting if merged code is
breaking, but you will not be able to merge anyhow as you must make
sure the tests pass before merging, so you need a stable repo.

So in summary, yes there's something we can do, fix the offeding patch
(or revert it) and force any patchset to pass the tests before
merging.