[ovirt-devel] UI Plugin to Upload ISO Files

Itamar Heim iheim at redhat.com
Sun Dec 14 21:35:40 UTC 2014

On 12/12/2014 05:15 AM, Lucas Vandroux wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I'm actually working to create a custom user interface plugin for oVirt
> web administration application to let user upload iso files.
>
> I'm in the very first stage of the project. I'm planning to use
> angularjs with the ng-flow module <https://github.com/flowjs/ng-flow> on
> the client-side and a java servlet using the ovirt-iso-uploader
> <http://www.ovirt.org/OVirt_engine_tools#ovirt-iso-uploader> engine tool
> on the server-side.
>
> All my code is going to be on Github in the following repository :
> iso-uploader-plugin
> <https://github.com/ovirt-china/iso-uploader-plugin>. You can also check
> a more detailed version of the specifications on my wiki
> <https://github.com/ovirt-china/iso-uploader-plugin/wiki/Specifications>.
>
> I'm writing to you guys to know if there is a way for us to collaborate
> as you may also want to develop something like this to be integrated in
> the oVirt Engine.
>
> Best regards,
>
> - Lucas Vandroux (冯凯)

looks very nice.

This is actually very interesting (and requested by multiple folks) but
i'd like to see if we should focus on the more simple "upload iso's" or
it doing more than just upload ISO's, but also VMs.
for the latter, architecture would probably be a servlet[1] on the
engine and stream to vdsm to write to storage, so both vm disks and/or
iso's could be uploaded/downloaded.

one thing to consider with above architecture is need to handle
ticketing between servlet to validate end user is allowed to do this,
and for more advanced - some throttling.

another concern is choice of technologies to see if can be properly
packaged to be provided as more than just an optional ui plugin.

a question - i couldn't easily locate a screenshot/explanation how your
plugin dialog for upload looks like / how you handle authentication in
it now?

thanks,
    Itamar

[1] servlet to can be moved to another host and to not hog engine
backend itself.