[ovirt-devel] UI Plugin to Upload ISO Files

Keith Robertson kroberts at redhat.com
Mon Dec 15 17:59:54 UTC 2014

On 12/11/14 10:15 PM, Lucas Vandroux wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I'm actually working to create a custom user interface plugin for oVirt
> web administration application to let user upload iso files.
>
> I'm in the very first stage of the project. I'm planning to use
> angularjs with the ng-flow module <https://github.com/flowjs/ng-flow> on
> the client-side and a java servlet using the ovirt-iso-uploader
> <http://www.ovirt.org/OVirt_engine_tools#ovirt-iso-uploader> engine tool
> on the server-side.
>
> All my code is going to be on Github in the following repository
> : iso-uploader-plugin
> <https://github.com/ovirt-china/iso-uploader-plugin>. You can also check
> a more detailed version of the specifications on my wiki
> <https://github.com/ovirt-china/iso-uploader-plugin/wiki/Specifications>.
>
> I'm writing to you guys to know if there is a way for us to collaborate
> as you may also want to develop something like this to be integrated in
> the oVirt Engine.
>
> Best regards,
>
> - Lucas Vandroux (冯凯)

Lucas,

I am glad to see someone finally picking this up.

I don't maintain the ISO uploader anymore but I can offer you some
suggestions that may help you with your effort.

1) The mount command which is used by the 'ovirt-iso-uploader' requires
root.  Hence, the calling process must be root.  If you shell out to the
'ovirt-iso-uploader' from a servlet running in Ovirt Engine the calling
process will not be root.  Instead, it will be the user 'ovirt'.  As
such, uploading a file will fail because the mount command will fail.

To circumvent this issue, I suggest you investigate creating a
consolehelper script to call the program as the user 'ovirt' and elevate
your privileges to root.  I would avoid sudo for this purpose.

2) The plug-in you are creating will only work if Ovirt Engine can
actually reach the NFS server.  AIUI, there are valid configurations
where Hypervisors can reach the NFS server but the Engine cannot.  I am
not sure if this is still the case but you will want to gracefully
handle this.

3) SSH is easier.  If you can SSH to the NFS server and upload the files
that way then you will not have to shell out to the
'ovirt-iso-uploader'.  You can use the Java SSH library that ships with
oVirt.  I would suggest you review lines in [1] so that you understand
the necessary file permissions.  It is important to note; however, that
not all NFS server support SSH so this should not be the default
uploading mechanism.

HTH,
Keith

[1] http://goo.gl/0ihn8W