[ovirt-devel] virt-v2v integration feature

Oved Ourfali ovedo at redhat.com
Thu Jul 10 05:04:48 UTC 2014

Hi Arik

Cool feature!

Have some questions/comments:

The assumption here is that the proxy host has both access to the external system, and the export domain.
So you'll need to create two different providers in case you need another proxy host, in case the current external provider's proxy host doesn't have access to the second export domain.
Did you consider choosing the proxy in the action itself, and not beforehand?
On one hand it might make the flow a bit more complex, but on the other hand it will do a clear separation between the source of the VMs, and the destination.
I mean: press "import" --> Choose export domain --> Choose a proxy host that can access it --> list VMs --> choose VM/VMs --> Press OK.
Or:
press "import" --> Choose Proxy Host --> list VMs --> choose VM/VMs --> Choose export domain the host can access --> Press OK.

And another thought, can we do the listing from the engine itself, and not via VDSM?
If so, the provider definition will not need to have a proxy host as well, and you'll be able to see a list of VMs also without the need to select a proxy.
The import will be done by one of the hosts in the DC. The glance integration uses a similar approach.

As for installing virt-v2v, I don't know if that's an issue to add a dependency on it, and to include it in all hosts supporting cluster level >= 3.6.
However, if it is an issue, then it can be selected at the host level when adding it, and the bootstrapping will install it. Then it will be used only on hosts that have this checked.

Oved