[ovirt-devel] VDSM mom dependancy on RHEL7

Dan Kenigsberg danken at redhat.com
Wed Jul 23 18:19:13 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 12:00:36PM -0400, Adam Litke wrote:
> On 23/07/14 13:18 +0100, Dan Kenigsberg wrote:
> >On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 07:05:07AM -0400, Martin Polednik wrote:

If Fedora/EPEL is good enough - we'd rather use it, instead of
duplicating the effort.

> 2) If we need to ensure a smooth upgrade between el6 and el7, does
> this mean that I need to bump the el7 version every time I upgrade the
> el6 packages?  This seems strange to me.

It's strange and can be anoying, but that's life on Fedora, too. If the
package in F21 declares itself as older than the one in F20, it won't be
updated on a platform upgrade, and it can even hamper the upgrade
altogether.
When building a new version of a package in Fedora/EPEL you should start
with the devel ("rawhide") branch, then backward in time until the
oldest supported version.
I must admit that I'm too lazy to do that when I need to build only f19,
but in that case I try to bump only the minor number of the release, so
that at least in the next release of f20 things would straighten up.

> I think the better solution
> is to not require a specific version of python (2.6, 2.7, etc) but
> just < 3 until we support python3.

The python version dependency is implicit, since rpm ship with .pyc,
which has a different signature in 2.7.

> 3) We should probably make vdsm depend on a specific version of MOM.
> That way we can upgrade the fedora package but have an ovirt host stay
> on a current stabilized version.

But the downside is that every build - no matter how minute - of mom,
would require a contemporary build of vdsm. Seems painful.
Alternatively, before a new mom is released, it should be tested against
current vdsm. If things break, mom should declare a "Conflicts: vdsm <=
current-vdsm-version"