[ovirt-devel] [Mentor Opportunities] Outreach Program for Women

Brian Proffitt bproffit at redhat.com
Fri Sep 19 18:10:47 UTC 2014

All:

I am pleased to announce that oVirt will be participating in the next round of the GNOME Foundation's Outreach Program for Women, an internship program designed to foster more gender-diverse participation within the free and open source software communities.

Currently, we have at least one intern position lined up for the program (with hopefully more if our board members decide to sponsor more internships). Right now, we are seeking developers who would be willing to act as mentors from the oVirt project. Details about the program and mentor requirements are available on our OPW landing page[1].

Essentially, this program is very much like the Google Summer of Code project, where we match up interns with projects within oVirt that they can finish up during this round of OPW (December 9, 2014 to March 9, 2015). There is one key difference, that mentors should note: the application process is very interactive, and potential interns are expected to work with program mentors even as they are applying.  oVirt mentors will work with participants before and after the application process to help integrate potential interns into the oVirt ecosystem, and continue working with accepted interns as the program progresses.

Interested mentors should do the following:

1. Check out the application process[2] for interns so you can see what they are required to do and, in turn, know what will be expected from mentors.
2. Visit the Information for Mentors section[3] of the oVirt OPW page to walk through the process.
3. Fill in the Mentor Information section[4] with your name and contact info.

If you have any questions about the program, please let me know. We would like to have mentors lined up as soon as possible, given the upcoming application deadline and the need to have applicants involved with oVirt as soon as possible.

We had a pretty good experience with Google Summer of Code, and it will be very cool to continue a similar experience with this new internship program!

Peace,
Brian

--
Brian Proffitt