[ovirt-devel] physical disk management for gluster in vdsm

Saggi Mizrahi smizrahi at redhat.com
Mon Sep 29 11:35:08 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----

It will require the user to setup openlmi which is another step.
openLMI uses it's own broker, it's own "locking" semantics etc.
It has it's own abstraction level and goals. The whole point
of VDSM is having tailor maid solution for our use case.
That includes the scale\redundancy\concurrency considerations.

There is no way for us to assure that openLMI has the same
goals and considerations as we do and quite frankly we do
most of those things anyway when creating a domain.

OVirt needs to start having a cohesive archtecture and not
a Frankenstein's monster like approach of connecting to things
hoping everything works.

Every dependency you have is another point of failure.
It's another service you have to manage.
It's another project you need to track bugs work around
interface define defaults etc.
The project is already stretched thin trying to support
configuring using VDSM and openstack.
Someone needs to fix those bugs, make sure the fixes are
available on all available distros when we release a version.
We need to make sure they don't make changes that are incompatible
with how we do things. That means being active with patches and the
mailing list.

We already have problems with gluster APIs.

Adding another project to the mix will take us over the edge.
That being said, you are the one responsible for those kinds
of things so you know better.