[ovirt-devel] Engine's jvm stats via jmx and metrics

Piotr Kliczewski piotr.kliczewski at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 13:53:54 UTC 2015

Hi,

During my work I found myself in situation when I realized that I have
no clue what engine or engine's jvm is doing. I wanted to use visualvm
[1] to monitor engine's jvm. There are two ways to monitor jvm. One of
them is by using jstatd which is limited and the second one is jmx. I
found a blog [2] which helped me to understand how to connect to the
engine.

In order to connect you need to run visualvm using attached script.
Please modify JBOSS_HOME. Once visualvm is up and running you can
click "Add jmx connection...". In connection text box please enter
(assuming that your iptables allows 8706):

service:jmx:remoting-jmx://<engine_ip>:8706

and click OK. Now you can understand what is going on with engine's jvm.

I am able see jvm level information but I still have no clue how well
high level engine commands are running. I have been looking for a
while how to integrate Metrics [3] with the engine to understand how
engine behaves over time.

I wonder if there is anyone except me interested in understanding how
well engine is running.

Thanks,
Piotr

[1] http://visualvm.java.net/