[ovirt-devel] Number of VFs in oVirt SR-IOV

Michal Skrivanek michal.skrivanek at redhat.com
Mon Jan 19 14:21:26 UTC 2015

On Jan 19, 2015, at 14:59 , Martin Polednik <mpolednik at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Since dealing with SR-IOV, we've discovered the need to persist
> number of virtual functions for given virtual functions. The need
> is actually split into 2 parts: setting the number and persisting it.
> Our talks have pointed to 5 choices in persistence mechanisms:
>
> * let engine set the number when host becomes operational
> * implement mechanism in systemd/udev
> * create udev rule set
> * persist them inside VDSM
> * or actually let the system administrator handle this
>
> All of these choices except for the last still need the engine to
> do the initial set-up. I would like to hear your opinion on persistence
> mechanism and splitting the choice of mechanism and means of set-up.
> Since persistence is currently mostly required by networking team,
> I propose that [1] would be accepted as the means of set-up and in future,
> network team would figure out and implement their preferred way of persistence.

I would agree. Since there is no persistent mechanism available at the moment I would go with engine setting that explicitly based on host lifecycle.
trying to persist in vdsm is not helping as it anyway should be a different component (systemd?), and pushing such a mechanism to systemd is not feasible in a reasonable timeframe

Thanks,
michal