[ovirt-devel] Number of VFs in oVirt SR-IOV

Martin Polednik mpolednik at redhat.com
Mon Jan 19 13:59:33 UTC 2015

Hello,

Since dealing with SR-IOV, we've discovered the need to persist
number of virtual functions for given virtual functions. The need
is actually split into 2 parts: setting the number and persisting it.
Our talks have pointed to 5 choices in persistence mechanisms:

* let engine set the number when host becomes operational
* implement mechanism in systemd/udev
* create udev rule set
* persist them inside VDSM
* or actually let the system administrator handle this

All of these choices except for the last still need the engine to
do the initial set-up. I would like to hear your opinion on persistence
mechanism and splitting the choice of mechanism and means of set-up.
Since persistence is currently mostly required by networking team,
I propose that [1] would be accepted as the means of set-up and in future,
network team would figure out and implement their preferred way of persistence.

[1]
http://gerrit.ovirt.org/#/c/36216/3

Regards,

mpolednik