[ovirt-devel] trouble with already existing mac address in database

Sven Kieske s.kieske at mittwald.de
Fri Jul 3 10:15:41 UTC 2015

Hi,

jhernand was so kind to resolve this for me and asked
for a mail to devel, because some people might be interested in it.
so  here it is:

situation: you removed a vm somewhat dirty from ovirt by deleting
it in the database, now you want to reuse it's mac address, but ovirt
won't let you do it, because "Mac address is already in use."

At first I thought I had not deleted all entries regarding this
vm, but even when I did a dump of the whole engine db and grepped
for the mac it didn't yield any results, so the mac was not in the
db anymore, yet ovirt complained.

what helped, was a restart of the engine service, because ovirt
seems to cache some values in ram, like macs.

so in case you got trouble like this, just restart the service.

I wonder if it might be worth an RFE, so engine checks from
time to time if values in ram are also in the db and if not
cleans the ram?

thanks again to jhernand for the (somewhat obvious) solution!

site note:
ovirt-engine is a really fast restarting service, pretty cool.
- --
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Regards

Sven Kieske

Systemadministrator
Mittwald CM Service GmbH & Co. KG
Königsberger Straße 6
32339 Espelkamp
T: +495772 293100
F: +495772 293333
https://www.mittwald.de
Geschäftsführer: Robert Meyer
St.Nr.: 331/5721/1033, USt-IdNr.: DE814773217, HRA 6640, AG Bad Oeynhaus
en
Komplementärin: Robert Meyer Verwaltungs GmbH, HRB 13260, AG Bad
Oeynhausen