[ovirt-devel] Shared gluster storage domain for templates

Christopher Pereira kripper at imatronix.cl
Fri Jul 3 20:31:10 UTC 2015

Hi,

I'm trying to setup a gluster data storage domain exclusively for
templates (read only) and share it among different geo distributed ovirt
data centers.
I believe this is a common requirement.
Do you know if there is a clean/efficient way to do this?

My experiment:

I geo-replicated the templates storage domain in order to keep a local
copy on each data center for faster new VM instantiation or thin
template provisioning.
The problem I faced is it's not possible to import a replicated storage
domain when the original Storage Domain UUID is already registered in
the same Engine installation.
A workarround was to detach the original SD (from Data Center 1) and
attach the replicated SD (on Data Center 2)...or use another Engine
installation.
This works, but still requires to detach and reattach the storage domain.

Is there anyway to copy a storage domain or change its UUID?
I guess I can change the Storage Domain UUID (dirname and
dom_md/metadata), but I'm afraid of the multiple references inside the
binary file 'dom_md/ids'.

BTW, using a gluster replica-n volume seems to be the cleanest solution
because this way Engine would only be showing one single templates
storage domain (ideal).
The only reason I didn't go this way is because it is not designed
between geo distributed data networks.