[ovirt-devel] Automated builds and releases

Sandro Bonazzola sbonazzo at redhat.com
Mon Jun 8 13:08:51 UTC 2015

Il 05/06/2015 14:06, David Caro ha scritto:

> Hi everyone!
>

> In an effort to improve the project workflow and ease the maintenance and
> improve the quality of the project releases I want to propose start working
> towards automated builds and releases, the main ideas are the following:
>

> * Stop building differently for release and non-release:
>   - Building only once, testing what you build and release what you test
>   - Don't use two different version strings, one for testing and one for
>     release

I'm not really comfortable in releasing rpms like ovirt-host-deploy-offline-1.4.0-0.0.master.20150528094853.git7428372.el7.x86_64.rpm
as GA release.

> * Automate the build process, and the release process, directly getting the
>   code from the repos (no manual build tarballs)

This is fine for me, provided that the automated build start from a tagged version and become something like ovirt-host-deploy-offline-1.4.0-1

> * Adopt semantic versioning, it's a lot more meaningful than the current scheme
>   and fits very well with the above points

No much experience in using semantic versioning, will take a look.

> This will ease and lower the maintenance and the extra work required by
> maintainers, release engineers (sandro) and infra itself by making releases as
> easy as hitting a button at any time. That will allow us to lower the time
> features and fixes get to the users, and deliver packages and builds that have
> passed through all the tests we have, instead of rebuilding on another env, at
> another time, by someone else, and passing only manual testing.

+1