[ovirt-devel] Automated builds and releases

David Caro dcaroest at redhat.com
Mon Jun 8 16:19:09 UTC 2015

On 06/08, Sandro Bonazzola wrote:
> Il 05/06/2015 14:06, David Caro ha scritto:
> >
> > Hi everyone!
> >

> > In an effort to improve the project workflow and ease the maintenance and
> > improve the quality of the project releases I want to propose start working
> > towards automated builds and releases, the main ideas are the following:
> >

> > * Stop building differently for release and non-release:
> >   - Building only once, testing what you build and release what you test
> >   - Don't use two different version strings, one for testing and one for
> >     release
>
> I'm not really comfortable in releasing rpms like ovirt-host-deploy-offline-1.4.0-0.0.master.20150528094853.git7428372.el7.x86_64.rpm
> as GA release.

This can be automated to don't add the extra info to the release in case of a
tag creation, but that means that you have to run all the testing again when
pushing the tag, ideally it would block the tag creation, so if it fails it
would not tag the build but we don't have any gating system so right now it
would have been done after the tag is pushed, so you'd have to force tag again
(creating rpms with the same version that contain different code) or bump the
tag (making it feasible that the first released version is not the lowest tag,
for example, that the first release 4.17.* vdsm to be 4.17.5 instead of 4.17.0
because it took 5 retaggings to pass the tests)

--
David Caro

Red Hat S.L.

Tel.: +420 532 294 605