[ovirt-devel] [vdsm][mom][jsonrpc] new VDSM interface for MOM

Dan Kenigsberg danken at redhat.com
Mon May 11 14:59:01 UTC 2015

On Mon, May 11, 2015 at 04:28:11AM -0400, Francesco Romani wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm working to brush up and enhance my old hack https://gerrit.ovirt.org/#/c/37827/1
>
> That patch adds a new MOM interface, to talk with VDSM using the RPC interface.

The benefit of bulk calls is clear. Can you explain about the benefit of
using RPC instead of vdsm's API.py layer? (I can think of one or two,
but it's less clear-cut).

But what troubles me more is why are they related?

> On top of that, I want to make efficient use of VDSM API (avoid redundant call, possibly
> issuing only one getAllVmStats call and caching the results, and so forth)
>
> Next step will be to backport optimizations to current vdsmInterface.
> Or maybe, even replacing the new vdsminterface with the new one I'm developing :)
>
> I'd like to use the blessed JSON-RPC interface, but what's the recommended way to
> do that? What is (or will be!) the official recommended VDSM external client interface?
>
> I thought about patch https://gerrit.ovirt.org/#/c/39203/
>
> But my _impression_ is that patch will depend on VDSM's internal reactor, thus is not very
> suitable to be used into an external process.

I am baffled as well. Yeela, could you add to this patch a functional
test, which expects a running Vdsm, and uses vdsm.jsonrpcvdscli to
connect to it and run a simple getCaps verb?

Regards,
Dan.