[ovirt-devel] Runtime dir creation and FHS

Fabian Deutsch fdeutsch at redhat.com
Fri Sep 4 12:17:42 UTC 2015

Hey,

while looking at vdsm/vdsmd_init_common.sh.in I notice that some
directories are created at runtime (when the service comes up in this
case).

I wonder if there is a specific reason why these dirs are created at
runtime, and not at installation time?

With my Node glasses on, it would be very convenient if those
directories could be created at (rpm) installation time, because this
means that they will be part of the image which is created.

If created at runtime, then we need to modify the tree during runtime,
which ain't very nice.

Another question is if the top-level /rhev dir could be moved to some
subdir, i.e. /run/vdsmd/mounts - to better suite the FHS.

- fabian