[ovirt-devel] Runtime dir creation and FHS

Dan Kenigsberg danken at redhat.com
Sun Sep 6 13:02:40 UTC 2015

On Fri, Sep 04, 2015 at 02:17:42PM +0200, Fabian Deutsch wrote:
> Hey,
>
> while looking at vdsm/vdsmd_init_common.sh.in I notice that some
> directories are created at runtime (when the service comes up in this
> case).
>
> I wonder if there is a specific reason why these dirs are created at
> runtime, and not at installation time?

Creating on daemon startup time make sure that the directory is
recreated/adjusted if it was mangaled by an evil admin. But that's not a
good excuse. I don't think there was a good one.

> With my Node glasses on, it would be very convenient if those
> directories could be created at (rpm) installation time, because this
> means that they will be part of the image which is created.
>
> If created at runtime, then we need to modify the tree during runtime,
> which ain't very nice.
>
> Another question is if the top-level /rhev dir could be moved to some
> subdir, i.e. /run/vdsmd/mounts - to better suite the FHS.

it should move to somewhere standard, and the "rhev" trademark should be
dropped. It could happen on ovirt-4.0 when we break backward
compatibility. But that's easier said than done.

How about opening 2 infra bugs for 4.0 for these?