[ovirt-devel] Move host-deploy package installations into package?

Sandro Bonazzola sbonazzo at redhat.com
Thu Feb 25 14:20:06 UTC 2016

On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 2:44 PM, Dan Kenigsberg <danken at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 05:36:35PM +0100, Fabian Deutsch wrote:
> > Hey,
> >
> > IIUIC host-deploy is currently installing some packages manually:
> >

> https://gerrit.ovirt.org/gitweb?p=ovirt-host-deploy.git;a=blob;f=src/plugins/ovirt-host-deploy/vdsm/packages.py;hb=HEAD
> >
> > Can't these dependencies moved to vdsm - or if not - can't they be
> > moved to a ovirt-host package?
> > Then we'd have all package related informations in one place.
> >
> > I find it odd that host-deploy is taking care of package installation,
> > imo it should be sufficient to install a single package and have a
> > host ready.
> >
> > host-deploy can then focus on just configuring the existing packages.
> >
> > Thoughts?
>
> Everything that vdsm requires should be explicitly expressed in
> vdsm.spec. vdsm-cli not being their was a bug. If there's anything else
> missing, it should be added.
>
> However, we may have softer requirement: qemu-kvm-tool is nice to have
> for deep debugging, but not reallly necessary. In the future, I'd like
> ovirt-host-deploy to conditionally not pull iscsi packages if the
> datacenter does not require it. Thus I prefer keeping things as they
> are, even though it means that ovirt-node largely duplicates the list of
> packages from ovirt-host-deploy.

Just a reminder that ovirt-host-deploy is not installed on the target host,
it's just executed there through ssh after having it copied there as a
tarball.
So the installation of the packages can't be done in a different manner. On
Node, you should have ovirt-host-deploy-offline installed: it should pull
in all needed deps without installing anything else "manually".

> Dan.

Sandro Bonazzola
See how it works at redhat.com