[ovirt-devel] Move host-deploy package installations into package?

Dan Kenigsberg danken at redhat.com
Thu Feb 25 13:44:27 UTC 2016

On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 05:36:35PM +0100, Fabian Deutsch wrote:
> Hey,
>
> IIUIC host-deploy is currently installing some packages manually:
>
> https://gerrit.ovirt.org/gitweb?p=ovirt-host-deploy.git;a=blob;f=src/plugins/ovirt-host-deploy/vdsm/packages.py;hb=HEAD
>
> Can't these dependencies moved to vdsm - or if not - can't they be
> moved to a ovirt-host package?
> Then we'd have all package related informations in one place.
>
> I find it odd that host-deploy is taking care of package installation,
> imo it should be sufficient to install a single package and have a
> host ready.
>
> host-deploy can then focus on just configuring the existing packages.
>
> Thoughts?

Everything that vdsm requires should be explicitly expressed in
vdsm.spec. vdsm-cli not being their was a bug. If there's anything else
missing, it should be added.

However, we may have softer requirement: qemu-kvm-tool is nice to have
for deep debugging, but not reallly necessary. In the future, I'd like
ovirt-host-deploy to conditionally not pull iscsi packages if the
datacenter does not require it. Thus I prefer keeping things as they
are, even though it means that ovirt-node largely duplicates the list of
packages from ovirt-host-deploy.

Dan.