[ovirt-devel] [vdsm][virt] what's new in virt (20160105) - short edition

Francesco Romani fromani at redhat.com
Tue Jan 5 12:41:03 UTC 2016

Hi all,

Here it is the first weekly summary of 2016 of what's going on on virt's world (VDSM edition).
We will start lean, because we had winter break - some people still on holiday.

General topics
* because of the winter break, we are (I am) still addressing comments from the last "what's new" - thanks
to everyone that shared thoughts, both on and off list.
* Work will soon restart about virt device overhaul, as introduced in the last "what's new". The plan
  is still to
  - consolidtate all the Vm.getUnderlying* into specific devices
  - move from minidom to ETree
  - move from vm.py to appropriate devices/*
* there are plans to move the virt/ tree from /usr/share/vdsm to /usr/lib/python*/site-packages, following
  the recent move of networking code. We are still in "planning" phase, but this is definitely on the table.
  Besides tiding up our tree, this will help making the code more testable (easier to import with less
  sys.path tricks)

That's all for now, I promise more tasty topics for the next week!

--
Francesco Romani
RedHat Engineering Virtualization R & D