[ovirt-devel] VARIANT_ID usage - with our without oVirt version?

Fabian Deutsch fdeutsch at redhat.com
Wed Jan 13 15:17:27 UTC 2016

Hey,

we've now merged a patch [0] to use and populate the VARIANT and
VARIANT_ID fields on Node.

Currently the value is something like "ovirt-node-$BRANCH", i.e.
"ovirt-node-master" or "ovirt-node-3.6".

I'd like to question if we should include the oVirt version in the ID,
or if we should just use "ovirt-node" without the version.

>From my POV the variant is not depending on a specific version, that
is why I'd like to discuss it.

The oVirt version can still be retieved like on any other host i.e.
using rpm or maybe some file(?).

- fabian

--
[0] https://gerrit.ovirt.org/gitweb?p=ovirt-release.git;a=blob;f=ovirt-release-master/ovirt-release-master.spec.in;h=8690d39402221acac402a6f2f0c485571ad838fa;hb=HEAD#l140