[ovirt-devel] VARIANT_ID usage - with our without oVirt version?

Moti Asayag masayag at redhat.com
Thu Jan 14 13:26:52 UTC 2016

On Wed, Jan 13, 2016 at 5:17 PM, Fabian Deutsch <fdeutsch at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hey,
>
> we've now merged a patch [0] to use and populate the VARIANT and
> VARIANT_ID fields on Node.
>
> Currently the value is something like "ovirt-node-$BRANCH", i.e.
> "ovirt-node-master" or "ovirt-node-3.6".
>
> I'd like to question if we should include the oVirt version in the ID,
> or if we should just use "ovirt-node" without the version.
>
> From my POV the variant is not depending on a specific version, that
> is why I'd like to discuss it.

+1
I agree the variant-id should not be a version specific. It should only
describe the flavour of the host.
I don't see why the engine should be aware of the specific version of it,
especially since we'd like to have a unified process for all host types and
furthermore for the same host type of different versions.

> The oVirt version can still be retieved like on any other host i.e.
> using rpm or maybe some file(?).

 Resolving the supported version of the hypervisor should be done the same
way as for any host by monitoring the capabilities as reported by VDSM.

--
Regards,
Moti