[ovirt-devel] VARIANT_ID usage - with our without oVirt version?

Douglas Schilling Landgraf dougsland at redhat.com
Thu Jan 14 16:50:04 UTC 2016

On 01/14/2016 08:26 AM, Moti Asayag wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 13, 2016 at 5:17 PM, Fabian Deutsch <fdeutsch at redhat.com
> <mailto:fdeutsch at redhat.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hey,
>
>     we've now merged a patch [0] to use and populate the VARIANT and
>     VARIANT_ID fields on Node.
>
>     Currently the value is something like "ovirt-node-$BRANCH", i.e.
>     "ovirt-node-master" or "ovirt-node-3.6".
>
>     I'd like to question if we should include the oVirt version in the ID,
>     or if we should just use "ovirt-node" without the version.
>
>     From my POV the variant is not depending on a specific version, that
>     is why I'd like to discuss it.

My point of view is that variant_id doesn't depend of specific version,
it only shows the
'flavor' of distro and may or may not include numbers as the link [1]
showed.

One benefit to have the branding/ovirt release in variant id is that in
the new oVirt Node
it uses Cockpit which reads /etc/os-release (ID + VARIANT_ID ) to show
to the users in the login
page such data, i.e:

"CentOS oVirt Node 3.6"

Username:
Password:

> +1
> I agree the variant-id should not be a version specific. It should
> only describe the flavour of the host.
> I don't see why the engine should be aware of the specific version of
> it, especially since we'd like to have a unified process for all host
> types and furthermore for the same host type of different versions.

I agree that Engine shouldn't care about a specific version at all but
probably VDSM will be sending /etc/os-release to Engine for displaying
data to the users.