[ovirt-devel] Installing vdsm? Watch your weight.

Fabian Deutsch fdeutsch at redhat.com
Wed Jan 20 14:45:12 UTC 2016

Hey,

recently I looked at how many (indirect) dependencies vdsm is pulling in.
I did the comparisong using the Node Next squashfs image.

What Node Next is doing, it uses the CentOS 7 @core group, and
installs vdsm on-top of this.
The conclusion is:

                                  without-vdsm        with-vdsm       Ratio
Size of squashfs [MB]           292072           450384       1.542
Package count                          297                 604       2.034
Disk usage [MB]                   839596          1382576       1.647

(Without vdsm: @core group + lvm + efi bits)

So we see that vdsm doubles the amount of packages, and increases the
disk-space requirements by 64%.

Two take aways: CentOS @core could be smaller, and we can take another
look at vdsm's direct and indirect dependencies.

- fabian