[ovirt-devel] Installing vdsm? Watch your weight.

Dan Kenigsberg danken at redhat.com
Sat Jan 23 16:51:02 UTC 2016

On Wed, Jan 20, 2016 at 03:45:12PM +0100, Fabian Deutsch wrote:
> Hey,
>
> recently I looked at how many (indirect) dependencies vdsm is pulling in.
> I did the comparisong using the Node Next squashfs image.
>
> What Node Next is doing, it uses the CentOS 7 @core group, and
> installs vdsm on-top of this.
> The conclusion is:
>
>                                   without-vdsm        with-vdsm       Ratio
> Size of squashfs [MB]           292072           450384       1.542
> Package count                          297                 604       2.034
> Disk usage [MB]                   839596          1382576       1.647
>
> (Without vdsm: @core group + lvm + efi bits)
>
> So we see that vdsm doubles the amount of packages, and increases the
> disk-space requirements by 64%.
>
> Two take aways: CentOS @core could be smaller, and we can take another
> look at vdsm's direct and indirect dependencies.

Vdsm is a large beast, with heavy dependencies. I suspect that some of
its deps are superfluous so a review is most welcom. But then again,
most of them cannot be shaken off.

$ echo `rpm -qR vdsm|awk '{print $1}'|sort -u`
/bin/bash /bin/hostname /bin/sh bridge-utils config(vdsm) curl device-mapper-multipath dosfstools e2fsprogs ethtool fence-agents-all genisoimage glusterfs-cli glusterfs-fuse iproute iscsi-initiator-utils kernel libguestfs-tools-c libnl3 libselinux-python libvirt-client libvirt-daemon libvirt-daemon-config-nwfilter libvirt-daemon-driver-network libvirt-daemon-driver-nwfilter libvirt-daemon-driver-qemu libvirt-lock-sanlock libvirt-python logrotate lvm2 m2crypto mom nfs-utils ntp ovirt-vmconsole policycoreutils-python psmisc pyparted python python(abi) python-argparse python-cpopen python-inotify python-ioprocess python-netaddr python-pthreading python-requests python-six qemu-img-rhev qemu-kvm-rhev rpmlib(CompressedFileNames) rpmlib(FileDigests) rpmlib(PartialHardlinkSets) rpmlib(PayloadFilesHavePrefix) rpmlib(PayloadIsXz) rpm-python safelease sanlock sanlock-python selinux-policy-targeted sos sudo tree /usr/bin/python /usr/sbin/saslpasswd2 vdsm-hook-vmfex-dev vdsm-infra vdsm-jsonrpc vdsm-python vdsm-xmlrpc which xz